16 and 14 years ago, when I was pregnant, I had gestational diabetes.
There is no history of diabetes in my family, but it seems to hit Asians more, so I guess I ended up being one of those statistics.
It was no fun. I had to prick my finger five times a day and shoot myself with insulin. I didn’t mind the pricking so much, but stabbing a really big needle in my leg and getting bruises (I bruise easily) wasn’t so much fun. It sure raised my level of compassion towards diabetics!
I was told I have a 50% chance of developing diabetes later in life. So every once in a while I prick my finger to check my blood sugar.
All has been well until this week.
Lately I have been very tired, thirsty, and having to go to the bathroom a lot. I hear these are symptoms of diabetes. So I took my blood sugar levels and discovered they are borderline high. Sad. I will go in for a blood test next week, but reading online, it does not sound like fun. Even if I don’t have diabetes, I might have pre-diabetes, or definitely a disposition towards that direction. They recommend exercise and losing weight.
I have been trying different foods and seeing what impacts my glucose levels and what doesn’t.
So far “good foods:”
• Salads. Salads are great. Low carb.
• I had a strata (with bread in it for breakfast) and was fine. Maybe because it was very little bread.
• I had a piece of bread for lunch and I was fine.
• I had a chai latte from Starbucks and was fine! Go figure! That thing has tons of sugar!
• A few ravioli seem to be ok.
• Costco muffins and pastries. My body does not like those.
• Not too crazy about a Carls Junior Big Star burger either.
• Chinese potstickers. Wahhhhhh. I love Chinese potstickers. Maybe it’s that I eat too many because I like them so much.
• Sushi. Waaaaaahhhhh again. I love sushi. Maybe a few pieces are ok. I ate a whole roll. That’s definitely too much carbs. I mean just look at this thing: it just looks sooo delicious!!!! But there are all sorts of little carbs residing in that thing, waiting to enter the bloodstream.
This was from this past Tuesday, where my daughter and I went out for a date at Mikuni’s. She totally loves ramen. I could not believe such a little girl could eat such a big bowl of ramen!
She loves carbs too. Like mother, like daughter…