Sketchnotes

Bible sketchnotes

During my devotional times, I read a chapter of the Bible and take notes on what I read, in a visual manner. I’m posting them here because it’s interesting to see the progression of how the notes have developed.

(I originally posted this Oct 9, 2009… am reorganizing my site to make it a post instead of a page.)

I have found this to be a great tool for my Bible reading, since I am somewhat ADD and have a hard time just reading. Also because I am taking notes, now I actually remember what I read and reflect on it, and find more now that God is speaking — not because he’s speaking more, but because I’m doing a better job listening!

09-1004bible1
09-1004bible3

Notice above how my daughter drew cartoon expressions to give me a primer on how to portray emotions. 🙂

09-1004bible3

09-1004bible2309-1004bible24

Share:
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

17 Comments

• Reply Kristin

Angela, this is so cool. You should design memory verse flash cards or a daily calendar or something with this theme. I think your visuals would help me to a better job of remembering too!

May 22, 2010 at 9:50 pm
  • Reply Angela Yee

Thanks, Kristin! Very kind of you! 🙂 Hmm…. never thought of that before… now you’ve given me some ideas! Alas, if I only had more time… 🙂

May 22, 2010 at 10:52 pm
  • Reply Jarrod

I love your typography! You must be a graphic designer…

July 29, 2010 at 7:07 pm
  • Reply Angela Yee

Thank you, Jarrod! I AM a graphic designer. 🙂

August 2, 2010 at 10:13 am
  • Reply Jacquelyn

Where did you get that amazing journal? I have trouble finding grid journals

March 31, 2013 at 8:21 pm
    • Reply Angela Yee

I got it from Amazon… just look for Jill Bliss journals. She has a number of them. Most of the journals have one spread that is blank, one with lines, and one with grid. The pages have a lot of variety!

April 2, 2013 at 7:42 pm
  • Reply Bronwyn Lea

I see that, like corrie, you are another person I would not be able to sit next to in church. I find it so mesmerizing to watch people draw, and I could watch you sketch for hours and not hear a word being said from up front. This is so beautifully worshipful!

June 25, 2013 at 11:37 pm
    • Reply Angela Yee

Thanks for the kind words, Bronwyn! That’s funny what you said about Corrie! 🙂

June 28, 2013 at 9:45 pm
  • Reply Miranda

Awesome! I am just a starter… Hope it will look like yours in the future! They are so beautiful and clear!

January 18, 2014 at 11:29 am
  • Reply Adam

These are fantastic!! I’ve been sketchnoting for a while now and have started to use the techniques with my devotion as well.

Do you happen to have the images in a higher resolution or available on Flickr when I can view them in more detail? There are a LOT of really great design ideas I’d like to “use.” 🙂

January 22, 2014 at 10:26 am
    • Reply Angela Yee

Thanks for the kind words! Hmm… I don’t think I have them offhand but I will poke around and see what I can find. By now my notebook is filed away who knows where so I will have to go digging through my archives!

January 23, 2014 at 10:13 pm
  • Reply Heather

These are amazing!!! But no way to ‘Pin’ to Pinterest :(… Would love to have shared. (or, am I just not seeing how to.?)

April 24, 2014 at 1:30 am
    • Reply Angela Yee

I really have no idea! Sorry!

April 28, 2014 at 9:39 pm
  • Reply amanda

These are great do you have more we could see…just starting this and would really live “how to” and know where to start

August 23, 2014 at 9:12 pm
  • Reply Krystal Kirk

I find it funny for myself as someone who loves to draw and would doodle in church when I was younger, that I never thought to use visuals like this to help me understand and remember the scriptures I’m studying. I love this! And I love the book you’ve been using.

December 6, 2014 at 7:58 pm
  • Reply Billie

These are great. I’m trying to get into my Bible deeper and am a doodler. This seems like a perfect match! Do you have somehow I can copy and print these? They’re so small as they are, and when I blow them up they become very distorted. Thank you, and thank you so much for sharing!!

April 29, 2015 at 10:36 am
  • Reply Elizabeth

this is so cool. You should make a book once your done with the whole bible

September 4, 2015 at 12:17 am