How do you pray for someone you love to grow in their faith?
I pray for my kids, loved ones, and others that I want to see God working in their lives. Sometimes it’s a little hard to know how exactly to pray for people to grow spiritually. Then I read this prayer Paul had for the Colossians.
…We have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light. For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whome we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
– Colossians 1:9-13
What a huge list of things to pray for! This week, here’s a 5-day plan for praying for those you love. (Starting this post, I’m dropping the Crawl Walk Run labels from now on so readers can self-select whichever steps might help them without feeling like they have to be at a certain level in their spiritual journey.)
Day 1 · Verse 9
Pray for God to give them spiritual wisdom and understanding, leading to a knowledge of his will.
- Wisdom through the Holy Spirit
- Open eyes and hearts to understand what God is saying
- Clarity for God’s will, whether in small or large acts of obedience
Day 2 • Verse 10
Pray that they might live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way.
- Desiring to please God in every aspect of their life
- Doing good works that lead to bearing fruit
- Seeking to know God better and studying his Word
Day 3 • Verse 11
Pray that God would give them strength to endure.
- Strengthened by God’s power in their lives
- Having endurance in the face of difficulty
- Having patience to wait on God and his timing, trusting that he is working
Day 4 • Verse 12
Pray that they would have God’s genuine joy.
- Having a thankful spirit
- Remembering the future inheritance God is giving them
- Holding onto the promise of eternal life in his kingdom of light
Day 5 • Verse 13-14
Pray for God’s continued redemptive work to be worked out in their lives.
- Remembering Christ’s sacrifice and forgiveness
- Thanking God for the rescue from darkness
- Celebrating the citizenship of being in God’s kingdom