Interior Design/Decor, Stage Design

Gospel of John stage design

My church just started a new sermon series on the Gospel of John. It’s a long series… something like 14 weeks, so we decided to change over the stage for the series.

There is a DVD on the Gospel of John and as I was watching it, I was inspired by Israel’s countryside and tents that were in the video. I wanted to create a set that felt like it was back in Bible times. So I got out my handy dandy Illustrator program and threw together a quick design idea.

The idea was to use two pieces of burlap fabric and some gauzy material to create a tent-like look.

Glen went to the fabric store and found burlap. I went to another fabric store and found cheesecloth, which was the exact look I wanted.

We lowered our cyc booms and started tying up the fabric to the booms.

Because the fabric was pretty light, fishing line was threaded directly into the fabric and used to tie the fabric to the black booms. Peter did a lot of the tying because he was the guy going up and down the lift.

It’s great working with someone who isn’t afraid of heights!

We also have some pulleys for some of the booms so that there is no need to go up the lifts. The pre-drawn diagram was really helpful because we could pre measure the fishing line and estimate locations of where it had to be tied. We had to do very little adjustment in terms of tying this time.

I even braved the lift at times… except I couldn’t go higher than 10 feet, since I’m scared of heights. That was high enough for me!

We had to attach additional lines after it all got pulled up — tying strings on both the front and back of the fabric helped it drape more like a tent.

Then we added lights and palm trees. (The palm trees were a later addition, as I wrote about in my blog entry the other day.)

Here’s the end result.

At first I didn’t like the lighting, as I had pictured more of an earthy feel. But after a while it grew on me and I decided it was a modern-day reinterpretation of a Bible time feel. 🙂

Share:
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

6 Comments

• Reply Dorothy Holland

I love the depth of your design and the mix of textures.

January 28, 2012 at 12:05 pm
    • Reply Angela Yee

Thanks! 🙂

January 28, 2012 at 12:53 pm
  • Reply Glen Nielsen

I appreciate the modern interpretation and psychadelic colors … we need to add lasers … that would be the bomb!

January 29, 2012 at 12:41 am
  • Reply Brilliant Fabric | Church Stage Design Ideas

[…] more like a tent.Then they added lights and palm trees.You can get more pics from Angela Yee on her blog post. Wow. It's Quiet Here… Be the first to start the conversation! Leave a Reply: Click here to […]

March 16, 2012 at 6:01 am
  • Reply John Parmalee

Angela, I love it. At Faithbridge I think our main mode of backdrops is hang something up and light it. At first we used scroller and love the colors, We usualy change the colors to match each background the video team puts behind the computer graphics. Now we have added some Colorado tro tours and a couple of Mac movers. We don’t move them much but really love the colors and gobos. I think I will pass on the lasers.

A thought of Fabric, Check out http://www.glicktextiles.com. They are here in Houston but they will ship. I have been buying something called Poleyester Scuba Knit. I think it was designed for streachy tops for cheer leaders. So far I have purched it in black and white. It doesn’t have a fire raiting but when you light a match to it it melts and goes out. The best part it is a little over $2.00 a yard with a discount if you buy a bolt.

March 16, 2012 at 8:20 am
    • Reply Angela Yee

Thanks so much for all the info, John! I’ll have to check out that fabric vendor — we’re always looking for low cost stuff!

March 17, 2012 at 12:01 pm