Follow:
Stage Design

String Stage Design

March 17, 2014 – Our church was doing a series called The Justice Thread, so the stage design was made of string!

The series looked at the theme of justice and how it wound through the Bible from the beginning. I thought using string would be a good way to emphasize the “thread” theme.

This stage design was inspired by one I saw a while ago at The Father’s House in Vacaville. I didn’t know exactly how they put it together, but we made our own version.

First I drew up the idea in Illustrator. It looked very uninspiring but gave the dimensions that we could work with. Notice on the bottom the floor plan view that showed that the strings were in a “V” formation.

january stage

 

 

 

My brother-in-law Steve did such a great job with the waterfall set that we asked him to help us out again. He kindly agreed, and he and Glen cut down 2×4’s.

14-0317stringstagedesign2

 

 

They used a plate thingy to hold the pieces together. I don’t know what it’s called, but it did a pretty good job holding the two pieces in a “v” formation. Then they spray painted the wood black.

14-0317stringstagedesign3

 

They drilled holes and I cut cord into lengths that were a little taller than the ceiling. We threaded the cords through the holes. Here’s how it looked from the finished side.

14-0317stringstagedesign1

Tying up the cords helped reduce tangling.

14-0317stringstagedesign0

 

The v’s were mounted to the ceiling and the cord tightened at the bottom.

14-0317stringstagedesign7

 

We used sandbags to hold them in place. We also put lights on the bottom shining up. It would have been nice to have strip lights but we didn’t have any so we just used what we had. I think they were PARs.

14-0317stringstagedesign6

 

Here’s how the set looked before lighting.

14-0317stringstagedesign5

The lights were two different colors, one on either side.

14-0317stringstagedesign4

 

 

The ceiling was kind of ugly, but given the way our stage is constructed, there was nothing we could do about it. As it was, we barely got the v’s up there because our lift broke and Glen had to lean back dangerously on a tall ladder to drill holes in the ceiling. I was thankful we got those things up on the ceiling at all!

14-0317stringstagedesign10

 

The lighting added a lot!

14-0317stringstagedesign9

 

This view is slightly off to the angle and you can see how the “v” created a little bit of dimension. It’s not easy to see in photographs but in real life it worked a little better!

14-0317stringstagedesign8

Share:
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

3 Comments

  • Reply Carmen Lin

    I had no memory of seeing this set at all.

    January 17, 2015 at 12:00 am
  • Reply Corrie

    I didn’t even know Steve helped you with a different set!! Haha!

    January 22, 2015 at 5:20 pm
    • Reply Angela Yee

      That’s pretty funny!

      March 11, 2015 at 9:31 pm

    Leave a Reply