My brain hurts. I have spent all day learning stuff. If brains grew, mine would probably be the size of Australia right now.
I spent a lot of time working on my business site, which has upgraded from Joomla 1 to Joomla 1.5. Big headache. I’ve chewed up 3 days of my discretionary time just trying to get this thing to work! Here’s a sneak peek of how the new site looks (it’s not done yet):
Today I learned:
- How to change the home page blog category layout from 2 columns to 1. After poking around the forums and posting questions and trying to decipher the moderator’s cryptic comments and altering tables and overwriting files and installing a dummy site and searching Google and installing Firebug and using both Safari and Firefox simultaneously to troubleshoot and searching Joomla forums and banging my head on the table… it turns out it was hidden in a simple box on the side that was labeled “Number of columns.” Arggghhhhhhhhh!
- How to change the CSS of the “read more” function to right align. (Simple HTML, I’m sure, but I’m a newbie!)
- How to change the en-GB.com_weblinks.ini file so the weblinks page text could be changed.
- How to insert a color cookie tag so that the background changes randomly. Then after all that research, I decided not to use that function.
Corrie came over and she’s a total website guru master (since that’s what she does for a living!). In 3 seconds she figured out what was wrong and taught me:
- How to use Firebug to figure out source files.
- How to change the color and size of the heading on my home page
- And other fun HTML things.
And then there were other Joomla features I learned like
- How to modify the module class suffix to make rounded rectangles
- What an itemcolor is
- How to update VirtueMart files
- How to change the shopping groups so that tax is not automatically added
- How to relink the contacts menu item so that it doesn’t show categories and just shows a single contact
- Where to insert the favicon icon
And then there was random stuff I learned while researching like
- What a VAT id is
- How much a stone weighs
- Different kinds of frozen California Pizza Kitchen pizzas, like Sicilian
- That it takes drivers 720 milliseconds to read 4 words on a sign while driving by
- What Snellen visual acuity is
I also tried to jailbreak my phone, which means I learned
- How to put the iPhone in DFU mode (I used to know this but forgot)
- What an old and new bootrom is
- That I can’t jailbreak my phone because it’s got the new bootrom. 🙁
There’s also a bunch of stuff I am still researching to fix on my business site. And after aaaaaaaaalll that work, today I learned
- The old template I used works in the new version so I could have saved myself a lot of trouble by just transferring everything over and using the same template.
So, what are the chances of my remembering any of this stuff?
I’m pretty sure I will have forgotten 99% by next week.
And my brain will shrink back to a size of a pea.