Since I am so behind in blogging, I have not had the chance to say that the past few months Albert and I have tried weaving! Albert wove a scarf and I wove a piece of fabric but I haven’t had time to even take pictures of them. I’ll have to get to that one of these days!
But since today I was on vacation, I got a chance to finish a project and take pictures!
My iPad only has a cover on it, and the back is exposed. So I wanted to make a sleeve to protect it when I put it in my purse or bag.
I went through my stash of yarn and found 2 skeins of Knitpick’s Capra DK. I had gotten it on sale a while back ago and totally loved the color, sea spray. It’s like a very light green-blue color (my favorite color!).
Perhaps one day I will take pictures of how to weave on a loom, but so far this is my second project and I did everything entirely different than the first time because I couldn’t remember how to do it. I think I will need to get the technique down before I explain how it works!
First you have to string up the vertical thread, called warp threads.
Then you weave in the horizontal threads, called weft threads. I did that a while with my Capra yarn. This is how it looked still on the loom.
Here’s a closeup of what it looked like. You can tell when a pro weaves because the edge of the fabric on the right and left (called selvedges) are really even. Mine obviously are not. But it’s only my second time weaving, so I figure I have a long ways to go before they will look even!
I had enough fabric now to make a case. But I discovered that I still had a lot of warp thread (vertical threads) left on the loom! So I went hunting around in my yarn stash for some leftover yarn and found a nice blue color. It was a Bernat acrylic yarn, super soft. Here you can see it on the shuttle, the piece of wood that carries the yarn back and forth.
Now there were two different yarns used. Here’s the finished fabric. It has more of a checkerboard type of appearance because of the two different colors. (My selvedge finally came out a wee bit more even, though still needs work.)
Here’s a comparison of how different the fabric looks — left side has the contrasting yarn, right side uses the same yarn for warp and weft threads.
You can really tell better in the closeup picture.
I was too lazy to get out my sewing machine, so I used some leftover yarn to stitch hems and put it together into a case.
Here’s how the back looks.
I really like the pocket in front because I can put in my phone and stylus.
The edges are a bit bumpy because of the hems being thicker. I don’t mind terribly that it definitely has a homemade look to it. It works great and it was a fun one-day project!