For Easter, our stage design team put together a set of contrasting fabrics.
Our philosophy is to have variety and contrast between sets, which means we often alternative between a fabric set and then the next one is something other than fabric. However, this time we had two fabric sets in a row because for our previous set, my original idea of using something that was not really fabric didn’t work so we had to throw together a set last-minute.
However, I can fairly say that this set is a contrast to the other set in that 1) the color scheme is totally different — warm vs. cool colors 2) the design is more complicated than the last one, and 3) I couldn’t stand the last one and I really like this one. 🙂
As usual, things went wrong and then we had to adjust. That’s all just part of the design process!
Things like ordering fabric and finding out that it’s out of stock and we won’t have enough time to get it before we start the design so we need to scramble and find another vendor and then trying to get it delivered in time without paying an arm and a leg and then running to church on a day off to see if it arrived. Or hanging up the fabric and realizing our stage is too shallow because of where our lights are built into the ceiling, so we have redo the entire idea. Little things like that.
We used two types of fabric: a polyester lining (chosen because it’s a cheap solid-colored cloth that drapes well), and shimmer organza, which is iridescent (blue-purple and green-red).
We hung the fabrics on the boom and then Danielle used a steamer to make those wrinkles disappear as we raised the booms. Man, I love that steamer. I can’t imagine how long it would take to iron everything.
It was somewhat of a guess hanging things on our boom because we never know how things look until they go up in the air.
The original idea was a bust once it went up (too flat-looking), so everything came down and rehung the fabric in a different way. Then Glen and Peter pulled it up.
It’s always a fun moment when those booms go up. They are really hard to pull and we can only raise 2 (4 max) at a time. That means that if all 6 booms are cross-tied together, they have to raise one set part way and run across the stage and raise another part way so nothing gets tangled or stuck.
Plus, there is always the fun of dealing with ropes that have fallen off the pulleys on the ceiling so Peter has to go up in the lift to put the ropes back onto the pulleys in the first place.
The Lord sure has blessed us with a very patient Technical Director to work with!
Here’s how the fabric looked without lights. The shimmer organize is translucent, which gives a nice layering effect.
The lighting was done using our fresnels above and 4 pars to underlight. There were minimal gels — I think we used a red one or two to bring out the red in the green shimmer organza, which has red threads in it.
The center opening was made using a griff clip attached to the edge of the fabrics and lifted up with a black rope. Matt later mentioned that the design was reminiscent of the empty tomb opening. After he mentioned it, I realized he was right!
Here’s Kyle preaching at the classic service with the communion table in front.
The table got taken out once the band came in for the contemporary services.
The set was a dramatic backdrop for the Easter worship services. More on Easter later!